US student quits over 'appalling' Japan rant (AFP)

Friday, March 18, 2011 8:01 PM

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – A US enrollee whose "appalling" anti-Asian and anti-Japanese rave went viral on YouTube announced she was quitting college, after receiving modification threats.

The University of Calif. in Los Angeles (UCLA) collegian said the video had led to "the vexation of my kinsfolk ... modification threats and existence ostracized from an entire community.

"Accordingly, for individualized country reasons, I hit chosen to no individual attend classes at UCLA," additional the student, in her ordinal assemblage studying semipolitical science, in a honor to campus production The Daily Bruin.

In the YouTube clip she lashed discover at the "hordes of continent people" at UCLA. Speaking in a fake continent module -- "Ohhhh. Ching chong heath daylong sound tong" -- she chastised them notably for talking on their cellphones in the library.

"In America, we do not talk on our cell phones in the library," she said in the three-minute clip, adding: "If you're gonna come to UCLA, then ingest dweller manners."

She continued: "I declare they're feat finished their whole families, just checking on everybody from the wave thing. I mean, I know, that sounds horrible. I feel compassionate for every the grouping affected by the tsunami.

"But if you're feat to go call your address book, like you might as substantially go outside, because, if something is wrong, you might rattling freak discover and you're in the libary, and everybody's quiet.

UCLA chancellor Gene Block condemned the comments early in the week as "appalling" and said the video did not equal the views of the university community.

In her honor to the Daily Bruin Friday, the enrollee said she was "trying to display a humorous YouTube video," but instead "offended the UCLA accord and the entire continent culture."

"I am genuinely compassionate for the harmful text I said and the discompose it caused to anyone who watched the video," she wrote.

"Especially in the consequence of the current hardship in Japan, I would do anything to verify back my insensitive words. I could indite defence letters every period and night, but I undergo they wouldn't cancel the video from your memory."


Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment